The Old Recipes

Amongst my many items in the boxes that have been packed away for quite a few years I found my old recipe folder.  Yesterday for the first time I searched through it - marvelling at my collection which goes back to 1969.  It includes handwritten (by myself and my mother) recipes, and a wild collection of cuttings from magazines going back to that time.

I had been searching for a recipe for Flummery.  A friend had told me about a recipe that she had used to make that dish, using condensed milk, and I knew that MY recipe, or my mother's, did not have that ingredient.  I was thrilled to find it.


The Folder

That special treat Ice Cream Recipe is good!



I have an idea of putting together some of these old recipes in a book one day.  Would be rather fun.  My mother was an excellent cook, though had some amazing failures too, as every cook in the kitchen would experience.

One famous error was on the night I took my prospective husband home for dinner, for my folks to meet him, when mum cooked an exotic meat dish with chili.  HIH was not used to hot and spicy, but somehow (I presume accidentally) mum had upped the ante with the chili.  HIH sat at the table growing redder and almost choking on the chili - much to everyone's amusement in the end when he had recovered!!!

Another was a Christmas cake that she made years ago, and after putting it in the oven, she discovered she had left "a pound of butter" still in its wrap for in those days it was only wrapped in paper in blocks, so she hurriedly unwrapped it, opened the oven door and placed the butter on the 'batter' in the cake tin.  As the heat melted it, it seeped through into the mixture and in the end was one of mum's best Christmas cakes.

 
The Recipe for Flummery in Mum's Handwriting
 
 
 
Joyce’s Flummery

Ingredients

1 ½ tablespoons gelatine powder
2 cups water
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup sugar
1 lemon
1 orange
Passionfruit, cherries, walnuts for decoration
 

Soak gelatine in 1 cup water.  Blend flour with other cup of water.    Put the blended flour, water and dissolved gelatine in a saucepan with the sugar.  Stir until boiling and simmer 2 – 3 minutes. Put in bowl and beat with electric beater, adding juice of lemon , orange and passionfruit.  Put into small glass dishes or one larger bowl.  Decorate.
 
Enjoy!!!!!
 
 



 

 

Comments