Broken Heel - Celebration of Priscilla Queen of the Desert

I remember the movie, Priscilla Queen of the Desert which was filmed around Broken Hill 25 years ago.  I have just learned that this weekend there is a great event in Broken Hill to celebrate the movie  - and it is called Broken Heel - and if you click here you can read about it.

When I was last in Broken Hill (November 2012) I stayed two nights in Broken Hill, and one night at Silverton, the old mining town just out of Broken Hill which was one of the locations for the movie. In fact all around Broken Hill and across to Coober Pedy (which I visited only recently). 

In fact, I have been to several of the locations, as it turns out.   Listed here are the locations for that movie. Here are the locations of the movie Priscilla. 

A dry creek bed at Silverton

The Silverton Hotel
The movie was great and I shall look for it - maybe a friend as the DVD or I will borrow it from the library.  I don't like watching movies on television - and if I do, I set up my data projector and big screen so that I feel like I am watching a movie at the theatre.

So, two Australian movies have featured in my life in the last 24 hours.  One, Last Cab to Darwin, and today it has been Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, or more precisely the celebration of Priscilla that has appeared in my life.  

Australia makes good movies, but we don't get the audience (small population compared to the USA, and the UK,) and these two showcase not only the Aussie humour but the wonderful landscapes in this amazing country.

Comments