Signing for Deaf Viewers

Congratulations to the authorities for ensuring that the deaf community are included in the communications in the time of the flood disaster in Brisbane.  All press conferences now have a qualified deaf translater, so that every word spoken by our Premier, or the Police commissioner or his representative, is translated.

It has been interesting for me, as I understand some of the signs, and I find myself focussed on the translator and I practice some of the signs.

A day or so ago, the camera was focused on the premier isolating the translator - but someone must have remembered that the translator is only of value if people can see her/him.

In the areas flooded there are large number of our deaf community - and it is important that all people are considered in getting information to you.
On television this morning.

Comments