In the Adelaide Hills - Crafers


Bev and I had been in Brownies and later I was in Guides and we remembered the camp Paxlease, just above the small town of Crafters near Mt Lofty, so we went looking for it today on our journey to Hahndorf.  Initially we couldn't find it but then there it was in front of us.

This lovely stone building that held many memories for us.  Bev can remember coming up from Lucindale to experience life with other Brownies, and I can remember being there both as a Brownie and a Guide, in fact as a Guide I can recall that one night we sneaked out in the dark and went through the bushes to Mt Lofty!!!



It was built as the local primary school initially, but after some time deemed unsuitable as the grounds were very sloping and the classrooms were very small.  My research has determined that it was in the hands of the Girl Guide movement until 1970, when it was sold as a private home.

We are so glad we saw it.

Comments