Life in a Caravan

I do get odd looks and comments (and lots of positive responses) when I talk about driving around Australia in my little Mitsubishi Lancer.  I've just bought a copy of the Caravan and Motorhome magazine to discover a wealth of information and stories abut camping and travelling around Australia. It makes me want to rethink my plans, but I have no choice.  For a start, I don't have the funds to buy or hire a van, and I certainly have no skills in towing a van.  Even the little vans would be beyond my capability.  A motorhome?  No money for that, so I have no choice but to keep on keeping on with my plans.  I am mindful that it is about 5 weeks before I set off.

However, I might just become a regular fan of the magazine - for there are wonderful stories of folk travelling around Australia and articles about some awesome products to make life on the road much easier.

One item that I am interested in is a product that is someone like a computer mouse, called a Digital Map Measure.  With it in one hand, you run it along the route on a map to calculate the distance.  Now that would be handy, especially if going off road.  You can read about it here at Jaycar. The website is also full of amazing products that I have had no need for, but look fascinating.

I'll certainly miss Wynnum.
I am mindful of security - female, lone traveller, wide open spaces - so I am interested in any information on making my trip safer for me.  I guess it would be great to go in a van, but I would need a man to do that.  There is an interesting article in the magazine about security.

My planning proceeds.  There was an advertisement for a Fire Extinguisher at Autobarn - it has been on my list to purchase, and shall do so today probably.  I hope I never have need for one, but I'd rather have one and not use it than be desperate in a fire without one.

Another idea that I have had recently, prompted by a friend I met in the supermarket who has had trouble with her false teeth.  Ok, I don't have falsies, but she had to eat babyfood because of the pain caused by her new choppers, and has lost a lot of weight.  So, is that a good idea for me?  I can take a load of baby food, and bypass restaurants and cafes and maybe I too will be slimmer when I return.  Mmmm.  Good idea?  Any thoughts?

Comments