Cobar

One of the reasons I am doing this trip is that previous journeys have been too quick to look around.  Cobar is one place that we passed through quickly.  Usually with a deadline and children in the back seat saying "Are we there yet?"  Of course if you are in Cobar, you are on the way to somewhere, so hardly "there yet".

I do remember the great sign there - reminding you where you are.   Cobar is where a number of minerals are mined.  Initially it was copper that was found here, but other minerals were subsequently found.


Not far from this sign is the Cobar Visitor Information Centre, which is very interesting. If I knew that the open cut mine was so close behind the Cobar sign, I would have gone in our previous trips, maybe, especially to show the children.

This time I did go and look for myself.  It was a short drive and up to a place where one had a wonderful view of the open cut mine.  The photo does give some idea of the size of this huge mine.  I was not aware of the many mines throughout this area.  Now I know a lot more!


I had a meal at the RSL Club in Cobar, which was pleasant, and had a quiet night, knowing that I had another ldrive the following day.  I did speak with a solo woman traveller, who told me that she had lost about 24 kilos after lap band surgery, and was travelling around with her little dog.  She has no hobbies, and has been travelling alone for a long time, but was quite bored.  She was also on a pension, and often stayed in 'truckie stops' at night rather than pay to stay in caravan or other parks.

I drove up to the water storage area of Cobar - quite a pretty picnic area and lovely early in the morning.   I returned to the motel, packed up and left around 9 am for a very long journey to Broken Hill.

I do not travel early in the morning or in the evenings - in the hope of avoiding kangaroos which are very active at those times.  Clearly many vehicles (often big trucks) do hit 'roos on the road, as the bodies are everywhere, and challenging to dodge at times.

I have taken to using my horn when I see goats or emus on the road.  The goats respond and retreat, but not the emus.  One time I came across two emus standing in the middle of the road, so I came to a stop.  I tooted, but they just eyeballed me and remained on the road for several minutes before wandering casually to the side of the road allowing me to continue.  Luckily there was no other vehicles on the road at the time.



The Cobar open cut mine - see the small entry to the underground mine at the bottom of the mine.
Water storage and picnic area, Cobar

View from the top of the Mine

Comments