Penrose Park, Jack and the Apostle Birds

After my day at Daydream Mine, and exploring Silverton I spent the night in the Penrose Park Caravan park in one of the dongas (cabins).  There were huge numbers of birds around, cockatoos, corellas, crows, and so many more I could not identify.  Not far from my cabin were peacocks too (I wish they would not call out during the night - so annoying!), and the Apostle Birds or Grey Jumpers.  The noise from the birds at times was a bit much - but I did enjoy it really.

The apostle birds are quite friendly little fellows, and one had a baby near my cabin - teaching it something, though I could not work it all out.  Apparently they congregate in groups of 12 - hence the name of them.

An apostle bird

There was a sort of mini zoo at the caravan park, with goats, sheep, ducks, etc, and a variety of birds and one of these was Jack.  Jack is a corella, and loves performing 0 much of it done from inside a tree trunk.  Apparently, according to the caretakers, people think it is a recording from within the tree trunk, but if you watch my video you will see him perform on his stage in front of me, before going to his tree trunk.





Comments