Kangaroos

It is pretty easy to see a kangaroo in Australia - for a start they are in our zoos and wildlife parks, and if you venture "out bush" and drive at night (NOT recommended) you are bound to see them. 

In my drive around Australia a few months ago, I encountered mostly dead ones.  They are in the outback in the thousands, and have no road sense, so, sadly for the drivers and the kangaroos they often meet in rather awful circumstances on the roads.   Bodies of kangaroos litter many of the outback highways and roads.  Driving at night means that one's chance of hitting one is much higher than driving during the daylight hours, but even then you are likely to encounter a few on the side of the road, or taking a quick hop across the roadway in search of  "greener pastures".  When a car driving at 100 kms or more hits a kangaroo there is likely to be the death of the 'roo, the smashing of the car and rarely, but it does happen, the driver or a passenger is killed.  I chose NOT to drive at night - in fact it was one of the many rules I drew up for myself for my journey.  As a lone traveller there were many things I chose not to do to keep myself safe.  Luckily for me it worked!!

Though one day after a sunset cruise (near Fitzroy Crossing, WA), I had forgotten that I had to drive about 10 kms after sunset and had three close encounters - two kangaroos and a huge bull, which had my heart pounding overtime.  Luckily I made it back to the caravan pack without damage!!!!

Last week I had my grandchildren staying with me - and I took them to a few places that I thought they would enjoy.  Including the Caboolture Historical Village, Bribie Island, strawberry picking, the beaches around Beachmere, fishing in the lake, crabbing, and so on. 

As well I took them to Toorbul. which is just north of Beachmere, between two creeks - Ningi and Elimbah Creeks overlooking Pumicestone Passage.  It is quite a pretty little township, much bigger than the last time I was there, with a lot more homes along the esplanade and further.  I was looking for kangaroos.  The children played in the playground while I took a "breather", and when we set off again we went south along the esplanade and I found what I had been looking for.

It is often not easy to see wild kangaroos though quite a number of townships along the coast have 'roos wandering around and we were thrilled to find 19 of them grazing in the middle of the day right there at Toorbul. 

There is a large joey dangling from the pouch of this roo at Toorbul.

It is quite an amazing sight - the kangaroos kept grazing and ignored us.  J and M counted them, and shrieked as they 'found' another one.



So, to see kangaroo's in the wild can I recommend Toorbul which is some 55 or so kilometres north of Brisbane - just north of the Caboolture turn off, you will see the turn off to Toorbul.

On the return journey from Toorbul, we called in at a strawberry farm, just off the Bribie Island Road and picked a huge tub of strawberries which we subsequently ate and I had enough left to make four jars of jam.

After we had dropped off the strawberries at home, we set off for Bribie Island where the children had a swim in the calm waters of the passage near Bongaree.

 

Comments