Beachmere

Beachmere?  Where is it?  I hear that so often when I mention that I live at Beachmere - so many folk haven't even heard of it, and fewer have been here.  I remember looking at the map and trying to decide if it would fulfil my desire to live within 100 kms of Brisbane, and near the sea. 

When I "found" Beachmere I was thrilled and after my drive around Australia, I set out to find suitable accommodation for me - so here I am.

It is not a swimming beach - in fact (unless you are lucky enough to have your own pool) you have to go to Bribie or Caboolture to find a swimming pool, but there are other bonuses!!!  It is tidal of course, and when it is low tide you will see many Beachmere residents taking a walk out along the sand flats. 

There are many spots between the Caboolture River and the northern end of Beachmere - so that one can walk in a different area every day, and because of the tides, there are many changes on the sand. Different patterns in the sand, some days there are battalions of soldier crabs, or other sea creatures, and a range of flotsam and jetsam.

Recently the beach has "coughed up" piles of pumice - as a result of an undersea earthquake some time ago, sometimes there are pieces of trees, piles of shells, and so it goes.  As I said, it is as each day the scenery has changed.

Today I went for a walk from the park at the southern end of Biggs Avenue (called Poo Park by the locals - it is an off leash dog park, but the owners don't always clean up the poo.  Keep your eyes open.

I went for a long walk, with my car keys dangling from my neck on a lanyard and my hands very busy with my camera.



Sometimes the soldier crabs are hidden under the sand, but the little holes and balls of sand indicate that they are there.  Today I found battalions of them running around.  They move in a mob - and if someone or something (e.g. dog) is on the beach, they move in a group in a futile attempt to avoid the "visitor" - and then they panic and quickly dig into the sand and disappear.    I love watching them, and laugh as I try and tell them that I don't plan to hurt them!


Towards the mouth of the Caboolture River it is very swampy (hence the name Beachmere -mere meaning swamp!) but it is clear that a long time ago there were many trees growing in the sand, but now they are dead and dying.  I always find it fascinating that there are trees quite a way out in the sea at high tide - but at low tide it is possible to see the remains of many old tree stumps.  A stark reminder that what nature gives, it sometimes takes away.

Old stumps


An old tree at the mercy of the sea.





Comments