Movies at Bribie Island

I do like to go to the movies - though I admit to being somewhat fussy about what I see.  I like real life stories, limited violence, limited animation, feel good stories.

In the past few weeks I have been to Bribie Island Twin Cinema to see several movies.   I have seen The Book Thief, Philomena and The Railway Man.  All excellent.





The story of Philomena is one that is very close to me - not that I have an Irish heritage, but I am still working on the story of a man who was born in Ireland in 1925.  Clearly the standards that we expect of people (governments, institutions, families) now, are different, but one wonders about the heartlessness of people within a church.  How Philomena could have been treated by the nuns of the Roscrea is heart rending.  How they could do what they did is appalling.

The story of Philomena is a true story and the full story is here.

I left the theatre with tears rolling down my face.  I tried to stop before I got to the exit door, but as hard as I tried to stop them, the tears came in floods!!!  I loved the movie.  Judy Dench was great!!!!  As could be expected.

A couple of days later I went to see The Railway Man - and again I left the theatre in tears.  Happy tears I guess - again an extra ordinary true story.  Here is a trailer here.




The cruelty of men and women in the past is well known, and for us living in the 21st Century much of it is hard to digest.  

Two excellent movies - must be seen.  Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth were excellent.

I hadn't known that there was a movie theatre at Bribie Island - I had driven past it on more than one occasion, and thought it was some sort of museum piece.



I had been going to the theatre at Morayfield in the shopping centre there, but I prefer the Bribie Theatre.  In part it is because it is far cheaper than at Morayfield, and I never liked going there.  One thing that occurs is that you have to choose your seat when you go to Morayfield, which is a challenge if you don't know the theatre, and your ticket has your seat number on it.  There was someone in my designated seat the last time I went, so I moved to another spot.  Yes, you've probably guessed - it appears I was in someone else's seat, so I had to move again.  I will keep going to Bribie - a much better drive too!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Interesting post Di. Yes, the standards of behaviour between people have changed. Some movies really bring home just how people were treated. But society is slowly changing again and those at the bottom are being treated in ways very similar to the past. So very sad!
Di Hill said…
I think we have a more violent society now - but not sure it is like it was in institutions in the past. We have fewer of those places now anyway, but I'd hate to think those at the bottom of society are thus treated... Will think about that.
Di Hill said…
I think we have a more violent society now - but not sure it is like it was in institutions in the past. We have fewer of those places now anyway, but I'd hate to think those at the bottom of society are thus treated... Will think about that.