Pickling Beetroot

I grew up in the era where many people did their own preserving of fruit and vegetables - there was no choice.  We did not have supermarkets full of canned, frozen, or bottled fruit and vegetables, so we had to do it ourselves.

It has been many years since I have prepared my own pickled beetroot - I've been lazy for a long time, choosing to pick a can of beetroot off the shelves when I shop.  Recently I have been dissatisfied with the canned variety.  For reasons I do not comprehend the product is not as satisfying for me - I think they are reducing the cooking time and the result is hard beetroot.  Not to my liking.

So the other day I bought a bunch of beetroot, boiled it until it was soft, peeled and sliced it and put it in a jar with vinegar.  Simple.  I should have checked a recipe perhaps, but didn't.  Anyway, whatever I did, it went over well.  In fact my family were very impressed!!

And so I am making more.  This time I am using some other recipes to see if I can improve on my first (for many years) attempt.

For recipes go to Taste and Best Recipes

Beetroot - just need to cut off the leaves, rinse and put into saucepan

And so I am making more.  This time I am using some other recipes to see if I can improve on my first (for many years) attempt.

For recipes go to Taste and Best Recipes

Comments