Making Wontons

I know they are easy and one doesn't need fancy kitchen gadgets to make them.  It is a long time since I have made any, but recently I bought a pack of Wonton Wrappers in the supermarket and each time I opened the refrigerator door they beckoned me to create with them.  These are of course popular in China and the Chinese are fairly simple cooks as they didn't have fancy kitchens!!!

There are a lot of recipes around and even videos on Youtube to help, but as usual I created my own.  I'm not one to rush out to buy just one or two ingredients that I do not have in my refrigerator.  I create!!!

First of all I made my mixture.  I used chicken mince, finely sliced onion, finely sliced shallots (the long green leaf variety), frozen spinach, and shaved cabbage.  I mixed it in a bowl with some Hoi Sin Sauce, some Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, and pepper and salt.   Most recipes say to add an egg, but I don't like eggs so I just mixed it together.  


On each wonton square I placed around a big teaspoon full of ingredients, and having "painted" all sides of the square with water with my pastry brush, I pulled the edges together and made little parcels.

I use a bamboo steamer and soon I had some tasty morsels.  How long?  Maybe 10 minutes.  I didn't check. Remember that using uncooked chicken you need to make sure it is properly cooked!

They froze well too.  I made quite a batch, so carefully placed them on a plastic tray and froze them.  I have had some since, and have some remaining.

Great to have on hand.  And as I live alone I like to have some "spares" in the freezer.

I don't mind frying them but prefer steaming.  Healthier I think.

What to put in them?   Have a look around at the various recipes online and in cookbooks and create your own.  Easy.

Comments